[Dev] Spherical geometry: s2-geometry-library

[Dev] Spherical geometry: s2-geometry-library

dsmiley
I made a huge discovery yesterday as I co-worker of mine referenced the "s2-geometry-library":

Project description:
 The S2 Geometry Library is a spherical geometry library, very useful for manipulating regions on the sphere (commonly on Earth) and indexing geographic data.

It's ASL2 licensed (yay!).  It appears But it's in C++ so we intend on porting it to Java to fit within Spatial4j to some extent.  The project appears to have been a "throw it over the corporate wall" type of open-source Google project -- it only has 2 commits back in January 2011.  Rebecca & Chris (students I'm mentoring) are going to shift gears a bit to start learning how this library is coded and then we'll figure out how we're going to approach the porting.  Also, Andrew Ross at LocationTech is going to invite the developers of the project to see if the project can join LocationTech.  Either way, we want to ensure the I.P. is clean.

~ David

Re: [Dev] Spherical geometry: s2-geometry-library

dsmiley
They aren't true substitutes for each other because JTS provides a Euclidean version whereas S2-Geometry-Library provides the spherical one.  Both world models have their uses.  That said, you could probably get away with using the one for the other and you wouldn't necessarily notice unless you look carefully, esp. if the points are close together and farther from the poles.

FYI JTS will be changing it's license to the Eclipse Public License this year, hopefully soon this year.  I met with Martin Davis a few weeks ago and I'm pretty confident this is indeed going to happen.

~ David