[Dev] Spatial4j / Lucene Spatial Playground / Lucene Spatial Extras

[Dev] Spatial4j / Lucene Spatial Playground / Lucene Spatial Extras

dsmiley
So I was updating the "History" section at the bottom of spatial4j:

Spatial4j began life as "Lucene Spatial Playground":http://code.google.com/p/lucene-spatial-playground/ (LSP) and from this work a generic core spatial library emerged, independent of Lucene. The other parts of LSP were either merged into Lucene / Solr itself or were migrated to "Lucene Spatial Extras":https://github.com/spatial4j/lucene-spatial-extras now.

But then it struck me, why should "Lucene Spatial Extras", a project name, be different than LSP?  LSP, the name, is kinda established.  Over the past year I've seen it referenced a bunch of times, including in presentations at conferences (both by me and others).  LSP and LSE are basically the same thing.  LSE barely exists -- I created it yesterday and haven't done any internal renames yet. I could simply rename it to LSP, and then the story goes that LSP was migrated to GitHub.  Of course Spatial4j, the core spatial, was split off, and Lucene got some of the code too.

~ David

Re: [Dev] Spatial4j / Lucene Spatial Playground / Lucene Spatial Extras

Chris Male
Thanks for getting all this work sorted out David.

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 8:30 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Technically we shouldn't have Lucene in the name like that as 'Lucene' is copyrighted.  The ASF has been hit and miss about following this up but I know of at least one case where they've asked for a project to change its name.  It would be okay to be called Extras for Lucene Spatial though.

Independently of all that, I don't really care what this repo is called.  Do we actually have a plan for it long term? The Solr code is going away really soon, right? Since you're in the position to commit the Solr adapters.  So that just leaves the demo code.  What else will there be? The JtsStrategy?  If that's the case then I wonder whether it should be related to spatial4j at all.  Spatial4j should be decoupled from Lucene as a project or we should bring it inside Lucene.  If we want to continue to manage these extensions but have them outside of Lucene then perhaps we should spin a project on github outside of Spatial4j or explore apache-extras.

Cheers

~ David

Chris Male | Open Source Search Developer | elasticsearch | www.elasticsearch.com

On Aug 31, 2012, at 10:14 AM, Chris Male <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Oh yeah.  Well then I propose calling it literally "LSP" (--" the project formerly known as Lucene Spatial Playground" in the fine print somewhere).  FWIW JTS was originally known as "Java Topology Suite" but discovered some copyright problems with it spelled out and so now it is officially "JTS Topology Suite", a bit of a recursive name.

Independently of all that, I don't really care what this repo is called.  Do we actually have a plan for it long term? The Solr code is going away really soon, right? Since you're in the position to commit the Solr adapters.  So that just leaves the demo code.  What else will there be? The JtsStrategy?  If that's the case then I wonder whether it should be related to spatial4j at all.  Spatial4j should be decoupled from Lucene as a project or we should bring it inside Lucene.  If we want to continue to manage these extensions but have them outside of Lucene then perhaps we should spin a project on github outside of Spatial4j or explore apache-extras.

It'll just be a demo webapp, and JtsStrategy (for now).  Potentially other code that wouldn't be proper in Lucene/Solr could go here, like something using GeoTools (LGPL licensed).  I agree that ideally it shouldn't be associated with Spatial4j.  I found it convenient to create the repo under the Spatial4j organization on GitHub.  That wasn't ideal; maybe I shouldn't have done that.  Since Ryan is the author of at least 90% or more of the code there (to my knowledge), perhaps he should put it under his account.  Does apache-extras have strict LGPL relationship rules?

On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 6:04 AM, David Smiley <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I really want to get away from Lucene Spatial Playground / LSP.  I feel it diminishes the Lucene spatial codebase.

[...]

It was a good first cleanup step, so I'm very appreciate of that.

 Since Ryan is the author of at least 90% or more of the code there (to my knowledge), perhaps he should put it under his account.

Yeah I think that is probably best in the long run.

Does apache-extras have strict LGPL relationship rules?

It doesn't really have any licensing issues.  It's a generic bucket of code.  Given that we're just talking about JtsStrategy, I dunno if putting it in apache-extras is a better idea either.  It just becomes hard to manage with code spread out all over the place.  WRT the demo code, I'd actually love to see a demo application in Lucene spatial.  Perhaps down the line we can come up with something a little better managed which we can include.

~ David

Chris Male | Open Source Search Developer | elasticsearch | www.elasticsearch.com

Re: [Dev] Spatial4j / Lucene Spatial Playground / Lucene Spatial Extras

dsmiley
In the interest of making some progress here as time slips away, I
suggest making the name of this repository:
https://github.com/spatial4j/lucene-spatial-extras     be "Misc",
living under the Spatial4j account for convenience.  Or maybe
"Spatial-Misc" but that's it.  An unassuming name that is not
something we should be referring to as such with any frequency; what
it contains is what we'll be (and others) referring to, albeit rarely.
 It'll have "spatial-demo" (currently named "spatial4j-demo").

I'm less sure of what to call the other folder but it shouldn't draw
too much attention as it only has JtsGeoStrategy for now any way. The
Solr BBoxStrategy FieldType should be moved to Lucene trunk, I feel; I
should probably create a JIRA issue for that.  I like "LSE"
personally, preferably spelled out but not is fine too.  It's just a
folder within this repo.  It will never be a released artifact.

~ David

On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 11:50 PM, Chris Male <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> knowledge), perhaps he should put it under his account.
>

> Yeah I think that is probably best in the long run.
>

>> Does apache-extras have strict LGPL relationship rules?
>

> It doesn't really have any licensing issues.  It's a generic bucket of code.
> Given that we're just talking about JtsStrategy, I dunno if putting it in
> apache-extras is a better idea either.  It just becomes hard to manage with
> code spread out all over the place.  WRT the demo code, I'd actually love to
> see a demo application in Lucene spatial.  Perhaps down the line we can come
> up with something a little better managed which we can include.
>

>> ~ David

> Chris Male | Open Source Search Developer | elasticsearch |
> www.elasticsearch.com

Re: [Dev] Spatial4j / Lucene Spatial Playground / Lucene Spatial Extras

Lets call it LSE, seems fine to me.

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 5:12 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> Yeah I think that is probably best in the long run.
>

>> Does apache-extras have strict LGPL relationship rules?
>

> It doesn't really have any licensing issues.  It's a generic bucket of code.
> Given that we're just talking about JtsStrategy, I dunno if putting it in
> apache-extras is a better idea either.  It just becomes hard to manage with
> code spread out all over the place.  WRT the demo code, I'd actually love to
> see a demo application in Lucene spatial.  Perhaps down the line we can come
> up with something a little better managed which we can include.
>

>> ~ David

> Chris Male | Open Source Search Developer | elasticsearch |
> www.elasticsearch.com

Chris Male | Open Source Search Developer | elasticsearch | www.elasticsearch.com

Re: [Dev] Spatial4j / Lucene Spatial Playground / Lucene Spatial Extras

ryan
I am happy to move it to my personal account...

that may be less confusing overall.  The valuable things in it should
get moved to lucene in time

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 10:13 PM, Chris Male <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Lets call it LSE, seems fine to me.
>

> On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 5:12 PM, [hidden email]
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> In the interest of making some progress here as time slips away, I
>> suggest making the name of this repository:
>> https://github.com/spatial4j/lucene-spatial-extras     be "Misc",
>> living under the Spatial4j account for convenience.  Or maybe
>> "Spatial-Misc" but that's it.  An unassuming name that is not
>> something we should be referring to as such with any frequency; what
>> it contains is what we'll be (and others) referring to, albeit rarely.
>>  It'll have "spatial-demo" (currently named "spatial4j-demo").
>>
>> I'm less sure of what to call the other folder but it shouldn't draw
>> too much attention as it only has JtsGeoStrategy for now any way. The
>> Solr BBoxStrategy FieldType should be moved to Lucene trunk, I feel; I
>> should probably create a JIRA issue for that.  I like "LSE"
>> personally, preferably spelled out but not is fine too.  It's just a
>> folder within this repo.  It will never be a released artifact.
>>
>> ~ David
>>
>> On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 11:50 PM, Chris Male <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > I really want to get away from Lucene Spatial Playground / LSP.  I feel
>> > it
>> > diminishes the Lucene spatial codebase.

>> > It was a good first cleanup step, so I'm very appreciate of that.

>> > Yeah I think that is probably best in the long run.

>> > It doesn't really have any licensing issues.  It's a generic bucket of
>> > code.
>> > Given that we're just talking about JtsStrategy, I dunno if putting it
>> > in
>> > apache-extras is a better idea either.  It just becomes hard to manage
>> > with
>> > code spread out all over the place.  WRT the demo code, I'd actually
>> > love to
>> > see a demo application in Lucene spatial.  Perhaps down the line we can
>> > come
>> > up with something a little better managed which we can include.

>> > --
>> > Chris Male | Open Source Search Developer | elasticsearch |
>> > www.elasticsearch.com

> Chris Male | Open Source Search Developer | elasticsearch |
> www.elasticsearch.com

Re: [Dev] Spatial4j / Lucene Spatial Playground / Lucene Spatial Extras

ryan
I just cloned it to:
https://github.com/ryantxu/spatial-solr-sandbox-demo

go ahead and delete:
https://github.com/spatial4j/lucene-spatial-extras

if that makes sense

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 10:40 PM, Ryan McKinley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am happy to move it to my personal account...
>
> that may be less confusing overall.  The valuable things in it should
> get moved to lucene in time
>

> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 10:13 PM, Chris Male <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Lets call it LSE, seems fine to me.
>>

>> On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 5:12 PM, [hidden email]
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> In the interest of making some progress here as time slips away, I
>>> suggest making the name of this repository:
>>> https://github.com/spatial4j/lucene-spatial-extras     be "Misc",
>>> living under the Spatial4j account for convenience.  Or maybe
>>> "Spatial-Misc" but that's it.  An unassuming name that is not
>>> something we should be referring to as such with any frequency; what
>>> it contains is what we'll be (and others) referring to, albeit rarely.
>>>  It'll have "spatial-demo" (currently named "spatial4j-demo").
>>>
>>> I'm less sure of what to call the other folder but it shouldn't draw
>>> too much attention as it only has JtsGeoStrategy for now any way. The
>>> Solr BBoxStrategy FieldType should be moved to Lucene trunk, I feel; I
>>> should probably create a JIRA issue for that.  I like "LSE"
>>> personally, preferably spelled out but not is fine too.  It's just a
>>> folder within this repo.  It will never be a released artifact.
>>>
>>> ~ David

>> --
>> Chris Male | Open Source Search Developer | elasticsearch |
>> www.elasticsearch.com

Re: [Dev] Spatial4j / Lucene Spatial Playground / Lucene Spatial Extras

dsmiley
Ok, may I have commit rights please.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 28, 2012, at 1:44 AM, Ryan McKinley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just cloned it to:
> https://github.com/ryantxu/spatial-solr-sandbox-demo
>
> go ahead and delete:
> https://github.com/spatial4j/lucene-spatial-extras
>
> if that makes sense
>

> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 10:40 PM, Ryan McKinley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I am happy to move it to my personal account...
>>
>> that may be less confusing overall.  The valuable things in it should
>> get moved to lucene in time
>>

>> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 10:13 PM, Chris Male <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Lets call it LSE, seems fine to me.

>>> --
>>> Chris Male | Open Source Search Developer | elasticsearch |
>>> www.elasticsearch.com

Re: [Dev] Spatial4j / Lucene Spatial Playground / Lucene Spatial Extras

ryan
Ok, i transfered the repo to:
https://github.com/ryantxu/spatial-solr-sandbox

david, you have commit rights