Blog post I wrote

TheSteve0
Hey all:
I just published the blog post from my talk at FOSS4G about spatial4j and Lucene spatial. Right now it just covers indexing but the next will cover doing a search. Would love any feedback

https://www.openshift.com/blogs/free-text-and-spatial-search-with-spatial4j-and-lucene-spatial

Here is the github project to make the index:
https://github.com/thesteve0/SpatialLuceneIndexer

and here is the one to search the index:
https://github.com/thesteve0/LuceneSpatial

Thanks for a great library and any feedback you feel like giving.
Steve

Re: [Dev] Blog post I wrote

dsmiley
Hi Steve!

It's so gratifying seeing 3rd parties (i.e. not me, Ryan, or Chris) publish a blog series and spread information at a technical conference about code we've written!  We're doing something right.  I wish I could have made it to FOSS4G this year.  Is there going to be a video of your talk up on youtube?  There are 134 tagged with foss4g this month.

By the way, in the future it would be cool if you could mention a particular strength of Lucene-spatial over the spatial capabilities in other NoSQL solutions -- the ability to index non-point shapes (e.g. polygons) and query by either Intersects (or conversely Disjoint), Within, and Contains predicates.  As far as I know, that level of spatial sophistication isn't present in anything else; you have to use a conventional relational database with spatial capabilities like PostGIS for that.  But at that point you lose the fantastic horizontal scalability properties that NoSQL solutions like Lucene (with Solr or ElasticSearch) provide.  This advantage hasn't been unnoticed by some, but too few are aware.

There are a small number of corrections to the article I propose:
  • Referencing "Lucene/Solr Revolution EU 2013" is incorrect due to the 'EU' there.  The same website is updated for each L/R event; sometimes it's in EU like this November in Dublin (I won't be there).  I was at the one this past May in San Diego.
  • RE licensing, you refer to "APL projects"; what does that stand for? I think you mean "ASF" for Apache Software Foundation projects, or perhaps you simply mean any ASL licensed project (not just those at the ASF).  Until JTS is re-licensed, it is particularly advantageous to ASF projects because ASF projects can't use LGPL licensed projects.
  • "hoods" -> "hood"
  • "indexing strategies and query syntax" -> "indexing and search strategies"
  • "11 bits in the geohash" -> "11 character long geohash"
  • for the stored fields, I suggest storing the latitude and longitude as separate fields.  It's more direct/explicit whereas ctx.toString(shape) is obscure and I'm not sure if it'll exist long-term.
Thanks again!  Once you make the tweaks I'll forward it to the [hidden email] list.

Also, if you have any opinions at all on Spatial4j -- wether it should merge into Lucene-spatial or be an independent project, then let us know.  I'd love it if it could be incorporated into JTS but that's entirely up to Martin Davis and he hasn't responded to my proposal yet.

~ David

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 2:37 PM, TheSteve0 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey all:
I just published the blog post from my talk at FOSS4G about spatial4j and
Lucene spatial. Right now it just covers indexing but the next will cover
doing a search. Would love any feedback

https://www.openshift.com/blogs/free-text-and-spatial-search-with-spatial4j-and-lucene-spatial

Here is the github project to make the index:
https://github.com/thesteve0/SpatialLuceneIndexer

and here is the one to search the index:
https://github.com/thesteve0/LuceneSpatial

Thanks for a great library and any feedback you feel like giving.
Steve

Re: [Dev] Blog post I wrote

TheSteve0
Hey Dave:
Thanks for the kind words. It was supposed to be put up but I still haven't seen it up there.

I made all the changes except the code change at the end since that would require a rewrite of all my code (don't have time for that now).

I am pretty sure MongoDB can index shapes besides points and does Within and Intersects

http://docs.mongodb.org/manual/reference/operator/query-geospatial/#geospatial-query-compatibility-chart

If they put up the recording you can hear me explain why I would use Lucene spatial over MongoDB - it has more to do with the Free text search, ease of flat files for the index, and speed. I would use mongo (if I didn't want PostGIS) for a place where I was making a lot of updates to the data or wanted more flexibility in the what data I put into the index.

About JTS - as I said in my post I would LOVE for them to merge. It would be kick ass to have so much spatial goodness in one Java library.

Is there any advantage to having it merged into Lucene Spatial? If not then I think it is great to have it outside. I spoke to the Hibernate Query guys at JavaOne and they will also be moving to your stuff when they do the new release.

Thanks for cross-posting.
Steve